what you should know
are we currently accepting submissions?
Please scroll down to see our upcoming schedule
Interested in joining the staff at miniskirt? We’ll be accepting applications from May 1-25. Please see our Submittable for additional information.
Our tentative upcoming publishing schedule looks something like this:
Issue 13 (submissions closed; publication date 6/7) – the Starcrossed Issue (because Number 13). Send us your tales of cursed love, eternal love, epic, mythic love written in the stars, starcrossed love, whatever this means to you. We want atmospheric, epic, gorgeous writing about loves that are ill-fated, unrequited, impossible, imperfect, unlucky, irreparable, and ruinous.
Issue 14 (submission window May 10-31, publication date 7/7) – no specific theme, just love!
Issue 15 (submission window May 10-31, publication date 8/7) – no specific theme, just love! ***get your submissions in early — you guys have been so enthusiastic about submitting that we’ve had to institute a submission cap until we’re able to onboard new readers & editors.
** summer hiatus
Issue 16 (submission window August 10-31, publication date 10/31) – the Spooky Special! We’re looking for romantic work with a fantastic twist! Fantasy of all flavors, sci-fi, cli-fi, horror, slipstream, anything that comes under the speculative umbrella.
Issue 17 (publication date 11/7)
Issue 18 (submission window October 10-25, publication date 12/15) – the Sweet Holiday Treats issue! We want love that is sweet, saccharine, sentimental, over-the-top adorable. It doesn’t haven’t to be holiday-themed but we won’t be mad if it is. Think Hallmark Channel, While You Were Sleeping, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Sound of Music, Die Hard, Tim Minchin’s “White Wine in the Sun” — all the holiday greats. Think holidays-other-than-Christmas, familial love, furbaby love, love for the season. Think gratefulness & togetherness. Think ooey-gooey & uplifting. Think LOVE.
Issue 19 (submission window December 20-January 10, pub date 2/14/23) – V-Day Special. I hope I don’t have to explain this theme!
To stay posted on all our submissions calls & themes, follow us on Twitter!
We open for submissions (almost) every month from the 10th until (usually sometime around) the 25th.
- miniskirt is a destination for love & romance
- we publish poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and flash prose
- we will publish visual art in future issues
- we publish issues 8 issues per year
what we’re looking for:
- miniskirt is a destination for love & romance. we want your flirtations, your short & sweet confections. we adore romcom, but if you’ve got something dramatic, send that our way too!
- all love is equal here at miniskirt, so give us your queer devotions, your hetero hymns, your poems about poly life, your stories where being ace is celebrated
- we want non-romantic love too! familial love, love for your fur-babies, self-love, love for your hobbies, your favorite childhood memory, the best vacation you’ve ever taken; tell a story about winter being the best season, give us an essay about how your favorite sports team (not the Patriots lol) got you through a rough patch, or a poem about blueberry pancakes.
- anything from clean to full-on erotica (though erotica without nuanced characters will be a hard sell)
- all kinds of genre mashups!
- we accept sad endings, but you’re much more likely to get our attention with a happy one (the world is a shitshow, we only have so many emotional spoons & we prefer to send hope into the universe when we can); romance is The Point here
- when it comes to visual art, mood is everything. send us figurative work or abstraction. we like it all: photography, painting, drawing, collage, printmaking, mixed media, digital design, even publication-quality photos of sculpture or installation. if it evokes luscious feelings, send it our way.
- we’ll accept reprints if the original publication is more than three years old & the rights have reverted to you; just let us know in your cover letter.
- we’ll accept submissions of any pieces that have been de-homed because the original publication has gone defunct/taken down their website/run a scam (why does this keep happening to our community :'(), with no waiting period.
- we would love to see submissions from creators ages 16 to immortal.
please send us:
- all submissions should now be made through our Submittable page (link above)
- include a short cover letter (we are not formal, “yo, check out this poem” is fine but a full cover letter is also fine!)
- no need to include a bio; we’ll ask for this if we accept your work
- written work
- poetry: up to 5 poems, no more than 10pp total (in a single document, please)
- 1 short story or CNF piece up to 5000 words
- up to 3 flash pieces (fic or CNF), no more than 1250 words each (in a single document, please)
- visual art
- a group of 4-10 pieces that work cohesively as a group
- PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF OUR SANITY SUBMIT TO THE CORRECT CATEGORY
- of course simultaneous submissions are okay, but please let us know asap if another publication snatches it up first! (we’ll be sad but we’ll send congratulatory emoji balloons)
please do NOT send:
- more than 1 submission per reading period, unless we request it
- racist, queerphobic, xenophobic, ableist, or otherwise derogatory bullshit; no fetishization for fetishization’s sake
- absolutely no work featuring sexual assault in any variety, even if the work is about a character surviving/overcoming it; while these stories are valid and need to be told, they just are not in miniskirt‘s aesthetic. there are plenty of journals out there who can and do take care of these stories; please submit there.
- any work that needs a trigger warning but doesn’t have one (our EIC is a survivor of multiple traumas, and blindsiding her — or anyone else — is absolutely not the way to get an acceptance letter)
what to expect:
- we respond to every submission within 6 weeks (and often sooner!)
- right now we’re just a baby lit mag getting our legs under us, so we can’t pay yet, but we are working toward that in the future
- we nominate for Pushcart, Best of the Net, & Best Small Fictions
- we promote the magazine and your work on Twitter & Instagram
- a few writers will get more in-depth, personalized feedback at the editors’ discretion (anywhere from recommendations for other venues to submit to, to one-two paragraphs of editorial suggestions); unfortunately, we get so many submissions that it’s not possible to respond this way to every submission, so we apologize in advance for our form letter rejections
- if you are interested in feedback, please let us know in your cover letter & we will try to accommodate (we much prefer to give feedback if we know the writer is amenable to receiving it)
- keep up with us on Twitter & Insta: @miniskirtmag